Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Review: Meadowstone Farm's chèvre

In the past few weeks, I’ve mentioned more than a few times to Izzy and Shawna that I live next to an organic farm that makes goat cheese. It is time I write something about it!


The Meadowstone Farm is located on the outskirts of Littleton, NH, up in the White Mountains, only a half-hour drive from Mt. Washington trailheads. It should NOT be confused with the goat cheese farm of the same name located in Connecticut, but that just goes to show you, terroir is everywhere. The farm’s owner, Tim, makes some amazing cheese. As Izzy says, young chèvres are the backbone of the American artisanal cheese revolution. This farm is no exception. In any season, they will have at least three varieties of their chèvre. Always slightly salty, always with a full flavor profile, these cheeses also exhibit a wonderful texture, somewhere between crumbly and melty velvet. I most recently tasted the one with chives, but garlic, mixed-herb, and plain are also available. The garlic, herbs, and chives, are all grown on-location, with the same care and attention afforded to the goats. This New Hampshire cheese, one of a blessed few, does have a different sort of profile (again I may mention its saltiness) when compared with comparable Vermont cheeses.


Being slightly salty, these cheeses pair well with a sweeter or slightly oaked white wine, which brings out an earthy or even fruity flavor, albeit ephemeral. I have experimented with figs as well, to good success.


Go visit them! On the web at http://meadowstonenh.com/


MEADOWSTONE CHÈVRE

Flavor: 8/10, perfect for a goat cheese but a bit on the salty side.
Texture: 8.5/10, Nice and fluffy velvet.

No comments:

Post a Comment