Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review: Jasper Hill Farm's Constant Bliss

In response to Izzy's favorite cheese question, I have to say I'm quite infatuated with Jasper Hill Farm's Constant Bliss at the moment! The trouble is, I've only got a very small sample size of one cheese, so it's difficult to call it a favorite just yet.
I tried Constant Bliss, on her urging, on a trip to Vermont two weeks ago. I had to go to three organic foods markets to find it, but by the end I felt like Captain Ahab in search of the white whale.
I originally thought it a bit pompous to name a cheese Constant Bliss, but research turned up its real namesake, a soldier in the revolutionary war (back when they named non-pornstars things like Constant Bliss) who died near where the Jasper Hill Farm is now located.
Outwardly, the cheese resembles a Chaource. Rind velvety and tender with vague odor of Penicillium, pâte fading from runny near the rind to crumbly but fine-grained in the center. The flavor is straight from Vermont terroir, never very salty on the edges and edging on sweet toward the center of the cheese. Vaguely nutty and just a touch of acidity. I ate on honey-wheat bread, and paired with Lincoln Peak Frontenac Gris, a lightly oaked Vermont white wine, made from cold-weather grape varietals.
As for living up to its name, I'd say it's the best thing I've had in a very very long while. Nice and subtle, and at only $5 for a cheese, rates very high on the bang-for-buck scale. With or without a good wine, it certainly makes for an ephemeral moment of bliss.

Bought at the City Market in Burlington. I got it for $5, but I hear it normally sells for a good deal more than that, possibly double.

Flavor: 8/10, maybe a touch on the acidic side for some.
Texture: 10/10, my favorite thing about this cheese.

1 comment: